An update about our Earthbag Intensive workshop happening next week in Bahia, Brazil.
We are making final preparations for the two-week workshop starting Monday 17th October, in Ibicoara, Chapada Diamantina – there are still a few places available so be sure to contact us if you are interested in participating – you can come for just one week, or both.
This course is a great opportunity to be involved in a real building process, commencing the construction of a house from Hyperadobe/Earthbag and at the same time learning all about eco design theory and other earth construction techniques. We will be demonstrating wattle and daub, adobe, cob, as well as different natural plasters and paints on top of all you need to know to build your house or a structure from Earthbag. We will also be covering the basics of Green Roofs and Composting Toilet systems, using the great model developed by Johan van Lengen – the ‘Bason’ – so this really will be a full eco design immersion experience.
We will be working in a medium-sized group against the backdrop of the spectacular Chapada Diamantina in Bahia, sleeping under the stars and eating delicious food all fully catered – a truly unique experience!
- Earth Building – Principles and Techniques
- The Ideal Soil Mix
- Soil Testing – Field Tests
- Natural Stabilisers and Additives
- Improving the Earth’s Characteristics
- Locating the Site, Planning your House. Passive Solar Principals to maximise internal comfort.
- Heating and Cooling your home
- Site pre-planning and preparation
- Research of locale and gathering materials
- Foundation Systems
- Different types of structures, prefabricated systems and infill walls
- Earth Techniques for Wall Building (Practical) – Adobe, Cob, Wattle and Daub
- Natural Plasters, Renders and Paints (Practical)
- Built-in furniture and other installations
- Grass Roofs and Composting Toilets
- Grey Water systems
See our ‘Courses’ page for more info or contact the workshop coordinator Miriam at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.